Tuesday, December 14, 2010

With little more than a week before Christmas Eve, I wanted to use a few moments to speak of the nature of our Christmas celebration. I have seen all of the usual laments attached to car bumpers, on billboards, and even on the airwaves. Yet, I have tryed over the years not to become involved in the Christmas culture wars. Because of my calling, I have had somewhat limited success in this endeavor. Years ago, I lived in a city in which the creche had been banned from city property, and as a result, the war flared up, with heated talk on both sides of the issue. My own response was to take into consideration that state appropriation of religious symbols usually works out badly. Secondly, I do not want our sacred symbols used in any sort of coercive way; again this usually works out badly, especially for the coerced.

Based on what I have seen in the churches in which I have been priviledged to serve, I don't need to remind people that "Jesus is the reason for the season," or to "keep Christ in Christmas." For the most part, I think such slogans are counterproductive. One cannot legislate love for Christ or impose it. And although, I can probably be accused of many things, I try to avoid being a hypocrite. What I mean by this is that I plan to enjoy many facets of the Christmas season. There will be gifts under the tree, we will have our great family celebration, we will sing our favorite Christmas carols, and alongside these we we sing some of our favorite secular Christmas songs. What I can also say, is that at the very center of all of our celebration will be the birth of Jesus Christ. As one of my sons said years ago, he couldn't imagine missing Christmas worship. It is the incarnation after all that gives meaning to "Peace on Earth goodwill to all," and "Merry Christmas" (merry from the old English, meaning "blessed").

Someone may object, but the culture wars are not mine to fight. For those to whom the child of Bethlehem has been revealed as the Savior, there is no need to fight. Living out our calling is enough, and hopefully, by extending peace and goodwill to all, more people will want to have that peace for themselves.



Have a very Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment